Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Kandinsky

Today is Kandinsky's 148th birthday! If he was alive of course.  Kandinsky was always a mystery to me in school. As a part of my film production course work, we had to take a class on contemporary art.

Let me tell you I love fine art. I love it as much as I love music. I think that its because it is meditative. When you look at art or listen to music, the rest of the world melts away and its not as big or scary. Art can really move you to positive places.

Kandinsky didn't resonate with me. I didn't see what was so special. Of course, he wasn't as famous as Picasso or Monet, but I knew there must be something that made him noted.

This was my biggest lesson in seeing art with my own eyes. Picasso translates pretty well in photographs but I feel Kandinsky doesn't get justified. As part of our art tour in New York City, the fun part of the class where we got to go on a huge multi-day field trip, I saw a collection of Kandinsky's at the Guggenheim Museum of Art.

They grow on you with their warm palate of colors and vibrant movement. The colors didn't translate well to me in photos and the details were utterly lost. Also, I feel that Kandinsky's paintings deserve to be seen amongst a collection. Their detail and themes seemed to resonate against each other more than one painting alone.

Love one on my own wall if I could.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Kandinsky!

 
 
 
 

No comments:

um... new looks <O> <O>