Monday, March 15, 2010

my lover tintin


I have been in love with Tintin my whole childhood. and through my whole childhood I imagined what he would sound like. what that crazy hairdo was all about and what his character would be like: would he be timid? would he be stubborn? would he seem fierce and bold?

I adventured to far off lands with him and to the moon and even to the United States of America. my favorite of the books was Tintin in Tibet. There Tintin goes looking for his friend from China, lost in a downed aircraft. It is unbelievable that his friend would survive and even more unbelievable that Tintin's seafaring travel buddy, Captain Haddock, would; but they manage to live long enough to get tangled up in all kinds of mischief, with all sorts of hooligans, especially and most exciting the legendary yeti of the Himalayas.

I have always wondered what this strange and small wonder of a man would be like to meet. and I started thinking about him again recently because I may get to.

Steven Speilburg has undertaken an English language Tintin film based off the Tintin novel by Herge called "Tintin and the Secret of the Unicorn". I will finally hear his voice. See his face. Know what he is like.. and reserve the staunch and most joyous right of whining when they get it all wrong.

Apparently, to preserve the art of the comic style book, they are using the same technology employed by "Avatar" to create the graphics and animation of the film. My thought is that it is more because it allows them to do this::

"Ultimately, all the camera data was fed into a computer to create a 3-D replica of the actor. The digital document of the actor and the performance is so all-enveloping that the director, in this case Spielberg, can go back and change the "camera" movement and orientation long after the actor has left the set. "

-- Los Angeles Times

basic. laziness.

no pick ups or reshoots needed my friends.. its all in the computer.

surprise from Mister Spielburg, but maybe that is what filmmaking is ultimately coming to.

“I just adored it,“ he says. “It made me more like a painter than ever before. I got a chance to do so many jobs that I don’t often do as a director. You get to paint with this device that puts you into a virtual world, and allows you to make your shots and block all the actors with a small hand-held device only three times as large as an Xboxgame controller.”

--Steven Spielburg, quote from The Los Angeles Times

So now filmmaking is just like playing an Xbox.
awesome.

No comments:

um... new looks <O> <O>