Wednesday, December 22, 2010


So I was looking at Kickstarter today to see the other films that are being funded by the general public.

The film I want to make is about getting your soul stolen. Getting your soul stolen by other people. Particularly by letting a romantic relationship swallow you, or ideas swallow you, or the process of loosing innocence damage you.

Most of the films are romantic comedies that are meant to show moments that make you a twitter. Moments upon moments.. WITH NOTHING ELSE COMPELLING HAPPENING EVER.

I want to tell stories about things I know and have experienced.

Like walking down the street from a rock concert where you saw your ex-boyfriend making out with his new girlfriend. Frantically knocking on the door of a party where everyone is drunkinly dance humping each other so that you can slump into the back bedroom to cry in a safe place.

Like, lying on a mattress someone drug on to the roof and exchanging shallow stories at the stars.

Sitting in the parking lot at four AM talking with a friend about life, love, goals.. and a man come up and asks us if we have any "rock".

Watching the sun rise because you have stay up all night with someone you thought you could fall in love with.

I am good at intuition. I am good at moments.. breathing, falling, rising... real moments. I can feel a moment forming.
I am good at imagery. Collecting it and moving it and orchestrating it to tell a bigger picture.

But the story? That compels that feeds.. that intrigues. I don't want to make a quirky off beat comedy that is just filled with moments. I want to make a classic. A film to be remembered. A film that everyone relates to. A film that has something to say while it does something too.

In all the films I saw. I noticed that it wasn't the visuals that necessarily caught my eye. Dead story and dead performances..... make that gorgeous image dead and ugly .. period.


I'm tired of candy wrappers with out the candy inside. I'm tired of gazing at pretty images and that being all there is. I'm tired of looking at my own images and seeing that. I want something real.. something dirty.. something not afraid to take chances. Something adept and in-tune and paced well and not rushed.. but a quiet storm.. that takes the senses.. that causes you to forget this space for another authored one.

I want to feel as inspired to watch my own stuff as the movies that compelled me as a kid.


I need a story. I need a good one.

No comments:

um... new looks <O> <O>