Wednesday, August 12, 2015

the perks of anxiety

I have thought A LOT about the downside to anxiety, but this morning I starting thinking about the good things.

Yes, the good things.

Anxiety does do several things that I am extremely grateful for.



First, it has made me extremely attentive to the world and to others' feelings. I am sensitive, yes, and probably because of my anxiety.. but I also am very sensitive to other people and to the beautiful things in the world. I can recognize and cherish them only because my extreme attentiveness allows me to notice those things. This, in moderation, and in balance with my own life has been an amazing blessing. I am working on that balance everyday.

Second, going along with sensitivity, having the handicap of being anxious has forced me to better myself all the time. I have had to take a hard look at things in my life and take action for myself. Take responsibility for myself. Anxiety didn't force that on me but without it I may not appreciate the progress and steps I have made along the way to be a better person and to feel better. When you know how hard it can be, you can have empathy for others and compassion for yourself.

Life can sometimes be about suffering but if anxiety is one of the worst things going on in my life, I count myself as very lucky. I have never found suffering to be just for its sake. Everything that has happened to me has shaped and molded me and, I think, only made me better.

Though I can agonize about whether or not my anxiety makes me more difficult or question my worth when it is at its peak, today I realized I am an amazing person because of my anxiety.

Embrace your faults, I say. They are mostly what makes you who you are. You can always self-improve and get better along with all the rest in the world but your faults are truly your own. Who you are is defined by how you approach your faults. How you handle them.

I love that thought :)

No comments:

um... new looks <O> <O>