Saturday, July 24, 2010

NYC // Week Two


well, yesterday marked the end of week two on the set of Vamperifica and I am keenly aware that I am being watched haha. This has been a tough road for me. realizing how much I don't know and how much I have to learn.. how, sometimes, you can do your best but you just really aren't that good and you cannot replace your short comings with personality.

It been good though. We have been working with the Condor light that allows us to light huge wafts of the street at nights, and we have done some sick dolly shots, we shot in the diner that the famous Goodfellas zoom-dolly took place at, and we did some crazy steadicam and handheld work. We also got introduced to the remaining characters in the film.

Week two seems to be the place that people start settling in.. getting to know each other and meshing. Its the point at which you know that you are going to be sad to leave this set behind. This week I have been focusing on assertiveness and all the things I learned over this last year about knowing what I want and going for it. Its been crazy, having to be strong and meet new people, to not regret the things that have happened and move on, to trust that God has a plan for everything that has happened.. Definitely, I have found a lot of meaning in being able to work on a film again and do my own thing.. become independent and have my own track in life.

There are so many characters on this shoot that I would never find anywhere else. Richard, the executive producer, if I didn't know for a fact existed.. I would think he was written. Makes me laugh.. dayily.. although I tend to laugh at a lot of things. That is what I love: never met a Richard in my life.. don't think I ever will. In a good way.. haha, if you are reading this. 100% legit. 100% genuine. I love being able to look through the eyes of someone so totally different than me, because its so much fresher and so much more interesting than looking at it through my own all the time, and in Chattanooga, TN.. perspectives run dry after a while.

The Director of Photography, Dan Stoloff's images are fantastic. I don't know quite how it translates from reality to the monitor, but it truly is amazing. Crazy how you can capture life better than it really is. Seems unfair to the really thing to have the fake be better.. especially when the transformation seems as mysterious as it does, but I wish and hope that someday I might have it.



Fury, our on set dresser, is pretty awesome too. His musical knowledge ranges from George Harrison to Outkast. I can tell he is a child of the 60's though, by the way he lovingly plugs all his favorite bands from that time period. Hints of it also come through in his wardrobe.. from a cleverly placed shoe to his woven vintage belt.. When we moved into the diner, I could not believe the monumental task he had to step up to. During the course of our shooting period there, I swear that he and Anastasia, the prop manager, had to pull up almost every bench and table to make room for the dolly and replace it perfectly. Not to mention the famous and antique quality of the many times over location of the Clinton Diner made the situation dicy, trying to keep all the historical pieces intact. He is a renaissance man though and made the job seem un-daunting.




No comments:

um... new looks <O> <O>