Monday, October 18, 2010

Mulholland Drive


This last weekend I saw David Lynch's Mulholland Drive.
It was the most interesting film I have seen in a long time.
A lot people dismiss it because it is very indirect in its narrative style and the story appears scattered.However the acuity of the filmmaking skill involved with its creation speaks otherwise and I could helpbut to have an uncanny connection with the material.
Mulholland Drive is one of those films where you feel a very strong auteur at the reigns. I had much the similar feel as when I saw Kill BIll for the first time. It left me compelled by the depth of the characters and the genuinity of the moments on screen as well as the execution those scenes ... yet I was totally baffled by some of the meaning that seemed to be lurking.

I think I got it. A bad dream reconstructed to be good, to fool the main character, Betty, into believing that she didn't do what she had done, that the system was against her and that her actions were not real, until the horror of her true
intentions, actions, and false talent overwhelm her into taking her own life. Clues are strewn through the film to her
true downfall and that the main plot line of the film is her trying to hide that truth from from us and herself.

There is one very poignant scene of the film where Betty and her lover Rita go to the theater and see and act in which the truth
is also skewed.. in which great performances are faked.. lip synced and Betty realizes her fallacy as well. The metaphor works to make comments on so many things in David Lynch's POV, including his own film industry.

For some reason I am drawn to the honest mess this film seems to shed light on. It feels truly cinematic even if a bit artsy. Don't take my word for it. See the movie for yourself. But do be warned the concepts and portrayed characters are not for all and I definitely wouldn't recommend this movie for your general audience or party setting.

DAVID LYNCH. awesome!

And yes.. I know I am a little late on the draw seeing this movie.
haha



No comments:

um... new looks <O> <O>