Saturday, October 2, 2010

ShadowCatcher // WEEK 1


This week was a week of my latest endeavor: working for Seattle based production company ShadowCatcher. I have been extremely blessed to get a job in Seattle and with friends from my internship. This opportunity has been awesome! and so far fun. I really enjoy being in the production office everyday with new challenges and learning more indepth about the ins and outs of post production as well as distribution.

ShadowCatcher is working on a number of projects but biggest ones in their repertoire are the feature film "Outsourced" and the feature documentary, "A Not So Still Life" about the well known glass artist, Ginny Ruffner.

You may heard of the show "Outsourced" which is on NBC's thursday comedy line up and you may have notice in that show the credits of Executive Producers Tom Gorai and David Skinner, those are my bosses. With NBC's acquisition of "Outsourced" adapted into a television show, the "Outsourced" film is hoping to get some attention and sales. The film has been currently totally self distributed and this new attention to it has caused some more demand for the movie. You can stream "Outsourced" the film on Netflix.

"A Not So Still Life" is in the distribution process and has been well received by the artistic community. It is a very inspiring film for any aspiring artist and Ginny Ruffner herself is completely compelling and winning. Her determination and her unique spirit do seem to shine through the screen during the film. We currently are working with that film for film festival submission and anything could happen.

Distribution is one of the more challenging and brute work parts of filmmaking, in my estimation. I can't imagine how many films have made only back burner because of lack of advertising or timing. How many amazing projects have I never even heard of? I hope to learn as much as I can and glean how to be more successful at marketing and pitching my films. It seems that a lot of Hollywood is interested in films that are known winners and sellers but I think the most interesting films are completely different.. you just have to figure out how to convince an audience of that.

ShadowCatcher is partially an amazing place to work because of the place that it is. Situated up in an old apartment building on Capitol Hill, I love everything about the building. The smell of it, the style of the old carpet, the creaky steps.
I love the wooden floors and the white molding on the walls. My boss, David Skinner, has hung a collection of Native American photography on the walls that are spectacular. I've started to wonder if the photos were taken by Edward Curtis, know as Shadow Catcher by some tribes he photographed. He took over 40,000 photos
of 80 American Indian tribes. Shadow Catcher seems like an appropriate name for a filmmaking company. Not only the space but the working environment is team oriented and getting good work done in the spirit of making and cultivating working relationships that work because they are valued. From my perspective this makes ShadowCatcher a great and happy place to work.

Being in Seattle is being home and that is nice for now. Working for ShadowCatcher is only a temporary job so we will see what happens in terms of staying here but for now it is good to be home and to be out of Tennessee.



My friend Annea and I went out on Friday night. She is fun. She is weird. She makes me really happy.. for my previous assumption is that I was the weirdo but together she makes me feel normal, and spontaneous enough to be weird if I want.
You would find us walking and talking down some downtown Seattle street..
We are dicussing our plans to open a silkscreening and art collective shop, that will probably never happen because we both don't know our plans and probably soon will find out that starting a business is harder than you might think, but it doesn't matter. Seattle was never a place I got to explore in my youth and now that I am old enough to be out this late on a Friday night, we decide to go down to The Baltic Room in Seattle to have a drink. Nothing more nothing less. We sit under the dim lit lounge lights as she sips her jack and soda and I sip my coke and rum. We talk about love (( and how in love she is )) and endeavors and exciting life prospects..

I like constructing myself. I like choosing who I am. I like that I am in charge. I am the sole creator of my likes, my dislikes, who I love and who I dislike, what I need and what I can learn, parts of me I want to work on and other parts that I don't care are unorganized and messed up. I really like that no one else has any part of that piece of me. I am in charge of my relationship with God ((and if I even believe in a God)) and my happiness and relationship with myself.

Sometimes we judge ourselves more than others ever have.

I think, if you have created yourself to be an individual you love, people can only stop you if you let them..

I hope, for my future self and my future filmmaker, that that is what I am doing right now.

No comments:

um... new looks <O> <O>