Friday, February 5, 2010

THE secret LIFE of Jack White


mind blowing
in high school, this interview single handedly shifted a lot of my paradigms.
this is one artist that I have always envied and respected

From "A White-Striped Trip: "Get Behind Me Satan"
Interview with JACK and MEG WHITE
Terry Gross // NPR's FRESH AIR

GROSS: This is FRESH AIR. I'm Terry Gross back with Jack and Meg White of the duo the White Stripes. They have a new CD called "Get Behind Me Satan." Jack sings and plays guitar and other instruments. Meg plays drums.

The new album is called "Get Behind Me Satan," and there have been, you know, a couple of biblical references in your songs over the years. Were you brought up with religion?

Mr. WHITE: Oh, yes, heavy duty, but not to the point of, you know, like speaking in tongues or anything, I mean, but it was in the air for sure. I appreciate it as well, you know. I like looking at life through that at times and I wouldn't consider myself sort of--you know, I just like being in touch with God, I think. You know, I think that's sort of important. I think when you're a creative person in any kind of art form, once you finally admit to yourself that you can't create like God creates, it humbles you and then you can be free to explore the beauty of that creativity I think, you know, and I think when you look at it with God in the picture as well, it sort of frees you up I think.

GROSS: Do you see your musical abilities as some kind of gift that you were given?

Mr. WHITE: I suppose it's more of an opportunity to me that, you know, a lot of my friends, being musicians, you know, they all have that opportunity and I suppose what you do with it is sort of--to me, it seems to be always out of respect for the people who came before me and, of course, God who came before everybody. And, you know, it's just the idea that when you look at the creation of the world or the universe or anything like that, I mean, anything a human being can create seems to just pale to comparison, you know. It feels like, you know, out of respect, you have to be humble about it.

note! you can get transcripts of all NPR programs with Factiva Database! available through most libraries!! awesome.

No comments:

um... new looks <O> <O>